Report: CLERGY - Protestant Ministers and Catholic Priests

         Description: with notes


Matches 1 to 50 of 51

1 2 Next»

# Person ID Full Name Birth Date Birth Place Death Date Death Place Occupation Date Place Notes Living Tree
1 I19210                       
2 I12210  BERAN, Rev. John  3 May 1858  Zachotin #4, Zachotin, Pelhrimov, Vysocina, Czech Republic   10 Jan 1935  Turtle Lake, Barron County, Wisconsin, USA   Minister  1887  CHURCH Bethlehem Congregational Church, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, USA  The Czech Community of Milwaukee 1848-1998 Dejiny Cechu V Milwaukee
by Anton Daniel Acker
p. Appendix C
Pastors of the Protestant Czech Congregations at 13th & Harmon Street
Tenure - Pastor - Congregation - Ordination Certificate Number - OCN Filing Date - Denomination
(note: Ordination Certificates are on file at the Milwaukee County Historical Society)
1891-1893 Rev. John Beran - Bohemian Mission - #732 - (26 FB 1892) - Evangelical
1914 Rev. John Beran - Bethlehem Chapel - #732 - (26 FB 1892) - Evangelical

http://awtc.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=beran-pipal&id=I70
by Evelyn Beran

On 8 May 1869 John immigrated with his family from Bohemia on the S. S. Berlin of Bremen.
"History of Barron County, Wisconsin" tells that "he entered in the Slavic Department of Oberlin Seminary, Oberlin, OH, in 1884, graduating in 1887. He was assigned to field missionary work for the Congregational Church among the Bohemians of Milwaukee, WI for eight years, followed by two years of similar work in LaCrosse, WI. This work was greatly blessed and much to his liking, but he developed an ailment called "Preacher's Throat," and had to change his profession.
"In 1908 John Beran purchased 203 acres in Section 9, Almena Twp., Barron County, WI. The land was partly improved, and about 20 acres had been cleared. By 1922 he had 100 acres "under the plow," much of it fenced, had "remodeled the house, put up a barn, 30 by 74 feet, with full basement and equipped with the Sears-Roebuck appliances and built a granary 18 by 28 feet, a swine house 18 by 40 feet, a machine shed 18 by 100 feet, a silo and other buildings. He also has a good well, windmill and gas engine. The equipment in the way of tools, implements and machinery is excellent. Here he successfully carries on general farming and dairying and makes a specialty of a good herd of Holstein cattle and a drove of Duroc-Jersey swine. As a public spirited citizen he has served his district on the school board. He is active in the affairs of the Perley Methodist Episcopal Church. Fraternally, he is a member of the Independent Order of Foresters."

JOHN BERAN, SR.
John Beran, Sr., was born at Zachotin, Bohemia, May 3, 1858. He came with his parents to America in 1870 and the family settled at Muscoda, Wis. He lived on the farm for some years and then entered Oberlin college to study for the ministry. After graduating from Oberlin he became pastor of a Congregational church at Milwaukee and from there he moved to La Crosse.
When illness prevented him from continuing this work, he moved to a farm at Hudson, Wis.
In 1907 he moved to the present home where he passed away January 10th at the age of 76 years, eight months and seven days.
In 1884, before entering college, he was united in marriage to Mary Dremsa. To this union nine children were born. Two sons and his wife preceded him in death.
He is survived by three daughters, Mrs. Harry Carsley, Mrs. Abe Peters and Mrs. Frank Huser, all of this community; four sons, John, Charles, and Elmer of this community and Joe of Hibbing, Minn.; two sisters, Mrs. Mary Corbally and Mrs. Anna Rowley, both of Seattle, Wash., and ten grandchildren. He also leaves many friends made during the years he had lived in this community, to mourn his passing.
Funeral services were held at the Perley M.E. church Saturday afternoon, January 12th, Rev. D. G. Ross officiating and interment was made in Lakeview cemetery. -- clipping 
Czech 
3 I5656  BERAN, Rev. Milo  2 Nov 1897  Muscoda, Blue River, Grant County, Wisconsin, USA   13 Nov 1983  Hamilton County, Ohio, USA   Minister  1928  Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, USA  http://awtc.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=beran-pipal&id=I1006
Evelyn Beran tree

LEIK -- BERAN
A romance dating back to college days, while the bride and bridegroom were students at the University of Dubuque culminated in the marriage of Miss Caroline M. Leik, only daughter of Mrs. Martha Leik, Dubuque, Iowa, and Rev. Milo Beran, Chicago, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Beran, Muscoda, Wis., which was solmenized in Westminster Presbyterian church at high noon, Tuesday, June 12th. Rev. David I. Berger, of the University of Dubuque, and a former teacher of the couple, was the officiating clergyman. The single ring ceremony was witnessed by relatives and scores of friends.
For a brief time previous the service Miss Martha Zehetner, with whom the bride studied music, played a program of nuptial music, her numbers 'Love's Song' by Nevin, 'Perfect Love,' by Barnby and 'Song of Happiness' by Lemare.
At the appointed hour the bridal party led by the ushers, Harry Short, Mendota, Ill., and Ezra (Tab) Jansen, Lakeview, Iowa, fraternity brothers of Rev. Beran, entered the church to the strains of Lohengrin's wedding march played by Miss Zehetner. At the conclusion of the service this artist rendered Mendelssohn's march. Just before the vows were taken Mrs. John G. Chalmers sang 'At Dawning' and after the ceremony she rendered 'Thou Art Lovely as a Flower.'
Back of the ushers walked the bridesmaid, Miss Margaret Bancroft, who preceded the bride and her brother, Charles H. Liek, who gave her away in marriage.
Master David Berger, a son of Rev. and Mrs. Berger was the train bearer.
The groom, attended by his brother, Mr. John Beran, of Muscoda, Wis., awaited the bridal procession at the altar.
The chancel was adorned with several large wicker baskets of peonies, the handles being ornamented with large pink and green tulle bows.
Mrs. Beran wore a lovely gown of crepe back ivory satin fashioned with an overlace Bertha, basque waist, short full skirt with an uneven hem, and a tulle veil, worn in cap style with several bands of shirring and adorned with orange blossoms, worn by the bride's mother on her wedding day. It was designed with a three yard train. White roses and pink sweet peas were used in the shower bouquet.
The bridesmaid's sleeveless frock of changeable taffeta of pale green and gold was designed with basque waist and a short skirt over which was pale green maline considerably longer in the back than in the front. Her head-dress was of rhinestones and her corsage of ophelia roses and pink sweet peas.
Master Berger wore a white silk jacket and short pale green satin trousers.
A reception and four-course buffet luncheon were attended by thirty-five guests at the Leik residence after the church service. White peonies were used in profusion for the home decorations.
A motor trip in Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois will be the honeymoon of this couple and while traveling Mrs. Beran is wearing an Oxford gray tailored suit and a small felt hat.
Rev. and Mrs. Beran will reside in Chicago for the summer where the former is assistant to Dr. John T. Stone, pastor of the Fourth Presbyterian church and president of the Presbyterian Theological school. This fall the newlyweds will go to Madison where the Rev. Beran has been named director of religious education in the Christ Presbyterian church.
He was educated and graduated from the Dubuque University of Dubuque and the McCormick Theological Seminary in Chicago. He will receive his M.A. degree from the Northwestern University this summer. Mrs. Beran is a graduate of the Dubuque high school and attended the University of Dubuque.
Miss Ruth Van Buren, Chicago, was an out of town guest at the wedding.

REV. MILO BERAN GETS DESERVED APPOINTMENT
Rev. Milo Beran, a former Muscoda boy received considerable mention in the Madison papers Saturday because of his appointment as Director of Religious Education at the Presbyterian church at Madison. Rev. George Hunt is pastor of the church in question and Rev. Beran's work will deal with the University students and other younger folks of the parish. Rev. Beran took with him to Madison an excellent reputation and certainly the citizens of this community will take pleasure in his appointment. That he will make a success of the work seems a foregone conclusion. -- 29 November 1928, The Muscoda Progressive. (The Capital Times, Friday 23 November 1928, Page 7 also has the story with photo, headed REV. BERAN NEW CHRIST CHURCH EDUCATION HEAD)

HOMECOMING SERVICE AT PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
A son of this community, the only one who has entered the ministry, is coming home to deliver the address at the Homecoming service, Wednesday evening, April 5 at 7:30.... The Rev. Milo Beran is a thinker, a lover of Christ, and a fighter for what he deems worthwhile. He is minister of religious education in Christ Presbyterian church of Madison.... For several years he has been scoutmaster of Troop 13.... -- 30 March 1933, The Muscoda Progressive

The cover of Scotts 1975 Guide to a better vegetable garden has a photo of Milo's son and daughter-in-law and grandchildren. Handwritten on it: "This garden which is pictured on Scotts products in 1975 belongs to Rev. Milo Beran. Besides being a good minister he is a good gardener too.'"

REV. MILO BERAN NAMED ANDERSON CITIZEN OF YEAR
Rev. Milo Beran, who served as pastor of the Mt. Washington Presbyterian Church, will be presented the Citizen of the Year award by the Anderson Chamber of Commerce at the Jan. 23 chamber awards dinner at Coldstream Country Club. Selection was made last Thursday afternoon by a chamber committee. Rev. Beran will be the fifth person presented the honor. Others, in order, were William M. Judd, H.D. West, E. Wayne Titus and E. Walter Black. The dinner will be open to the public but limited in number. John W. Croxton, TP White & Sons Funeral Home, noted in a nomination of Rev. Beran that he "has continued to [sic] a great influence in the area especially with the Senior Citizens." "Rev. Beran is a [sic] truly deserving of the honor of being selected ... and such an award recipient would be a deserving honor to the chamber,' Croxton added. Byron E. White, a resident of Mt. Washington and Anderson Township for more than 25 years, also has nominated Rev. Beran who he called 'community leader, pastor emeritus, counselor and prominent citizens.' While 81, Rev. Beran continues a variety of activity and service in the area begun in December, 1935 when he and his wife, Caroline, came to Mt. Washington, noted White. Rev. Beran served the Mt. Washington Presbyterian Church as pastor from December, 1935 to June, 1966 when he retired. Under the leadership the church grew from a membership of 180 to 1900, relocated and successfully completed its present building in three separate segments in the years 1953, 1958 and 1965 respectively. In retirement, said White, Rev. Beran has served at least two churches as interim minister, and continues to officiate at weddings and funerals. Also nominating Rev. Beran was E. Wayne Titus. 'Doctor, lawyer, merchant, chief -- as a pastor he was all things to all persons,' said Titus. 'His magnetic personality and unique sense of humor allowed his Sunday sermons to take on the aspect of a fireside chat.' 'Often times a champion of the underdog, yet always possessing a sense of fair play, never self-seeking, his capacity for tolerance appears to be unlimited,' continued Titus. 'True to his love for and service to mankind, he was the moving force behind SEM Manor, a resident apartment home for the elderly and was in great measure responsible for its being. He has and continues to play a leading role in the SEM.' '...truly a man for all seasons,' added Titus. 'A learned man and a scholar, his contribution to mankind can be measured only by eternity.' White noted that Rev. Beran was 'instrumental in assisting some young men of the community in obtaining jobs' during the Great Depression. 'He has been interested in and supportive of community sports programs, his interest in sports dating back at least to his college years when he participated in football, basketball and track. "Rev. Beran was an early member, and at various times trustee, of the now defunct Kiwanis Club of Mt. Washington and actively participated in its projects," added the local attorney. "One of his most inspired leaderships started in 1966 when Rev. Beran, together with a few other community leaders, organized the Southeastern Ecumenical Ministry, Inc. which now includes 26 Catholic and Protestant churches in Mt. Washington, Anderson Township and Clermont County," he noted. "More popularly known as SEM, this organization has spawned housing projects for the elderly of which SEM Manor on Pebble Court in Anderson Township and SEM Villa in Milford are two. Rev. Beran continues to be active in the work of the SEM." Rev. Beran serves on the Board of Trustees of Project Hope of Cincinnati, Inc., a non-sectarian organization which together with other local chapters and the national organization provide a variety of health services to people throughout the world, according to White. He also is active in "The Best Years" Senior Citizens Group, an organization in Anderson Township, eastern Hamilton County and Western Clermont County, and has served as the organization's president. -- clipping dated 12/26/78, Metropolitan Cincinnati p. 1, con't. p. 17.

MILO BERAN, RETIRED MINISTER
The Rev. Milo Beran, 86, pastor emeritus at Mount Washington Presbyterial Church, died Sunday. The son of Czechoslovakian immigrantswho settled in rural Wisconsin at the turn of the century, Beran was a graduate of Dubuque University. He received a Master of Divinity Degree from McCormick Theological Seminary, a Master of Education from Northwestern University and an honor Doctor of Divinity from Dubuque University. Following his first pastorate in Madison, Wisconsin, Beran joined Mount Washington Presbyterian Church, where he was pastor for 31 years. He retired in 1966 but served as interim pastor at several churches throughout the Cincinnati Presbytery. Beran was founder and board member of the Southeastern Ecumenical Ministry. During World War II, Beran served as chaplain to the U.S. Army Ski Troops in Leadville, Colo. He was an active member of the local chapter of Ship HOPE, chaplain of the Baseball Players of Yesterday and board member of Lane Theological Seminary. In 1979, Beran received Anderson Township's Man of the Year award. Survivors include his wife, Caroline; sons, Milo R. and David D.; brother Joe of Clements, Minn.; and five grandchildren. A memorial service will be held at 7 p.m. Sunday in Mount Washington Presbyterial Church. Memorials may be made to the church memorial fund.
-- (clipping with photo, handwritten date Tuesday, 11/15/83) 
Czech 
4 I21212  BERGMANN, . Josef Arnost  13 Aug 1797  Zapudov #5, Bosen, Mlada Boleslav, Stedocesky, Czech Republic   6 Apr 1877    Minister        Czech 
5 I9745  BOLDA, Fr. Bonaventure John A  17 Sep 1908  Jones Island, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, USA   22 Jul 1989  Manitowoc County, Wisconsin, USA   Priest    Pulaski, Brown County, Wisconsin, USA  news.google.com/newspapers
The Milwaukee Journal
Monday, Jul 24, 1989
Page 6B

Father Bonaventure Bolda
Franciscan priest
Services will be held Tuesday for Father Bonaventure Bolda, a Franciscan priest and missionary.
Bolda died Friday of heart failure in Green Bay. He was about 80, according to a relative.
A native of Jones Island in Milwaukee, Bolda graduated from Marquette University. He served as a priest in Jackson, Miss., and also served for many years in Green Bay.
"He went to Jackson before the civil-rights movement started and established churches, schools and hospitals for blacks," said a nephew, Gerald Bolda, of Milwaukee.
Survivors include two sisters, Adeline Borowicz and Margaret Elder, and a brother, Ignatius, all of Milwaukee.
Visitation begins at 7:30 tonight at the Franciscan monastery in Pulaski, Wis., which is northwest of Green Bay. Funeral mass will be celebrated at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church in Pulaski.
-----------------------------------------------
St. Vincent de Paul Society by Bonaventure Bolda
Published by Saint Francis College, Burlington, Wis., 1936; 302 pages
-------------------------------------------------
The Catholic church in Mississippi, 1911-1984: A History by Michael V. Namorato
page 168
Franciscan Fathers of Pulaski, Wisconsin
Depressed by the Russian domination of his country, Brother Augustine Zeytz came to the United States in 1872, trying to find refuge in a Franciscan mission in Cincinnati, Ohio. Committed to sustaining the faith of his Polish and Lithuanian countrymen, he eventually secured land in Pulaski, Wisconsin, and, in 1887, the pope approved the establishment of the Assumption Province of the Franciscan Friars. From here, the Friars spread throughout America, eventually arriving in Mississippi in 1950.
In 1948, at the invitation of Bishop Gerow, the Franciscan Friars came to Natchez-Jackson, specifically Fathers Bonaventure Bolda and Chrysostom Okon. Two years later, Father Nathaniel Machesky arrives. Working diligently, they established their home parish at St. Francis of Assisi in Greenwood. 
Czech 
6 I20274  BREN, . Joseph  25 Nov 1869  Netrebice, Nymburk, Stedocesky, Czech Republic   1 Dec 1943    Minister        Czech 
7 I20274  BREN, . Joseph  25 Nov 1869  Netrebice, Nymburk, Stedocesky, Czech Republic   1 Dec 1943    Minister  20 DEC 1919  Cedar Rapids, Linn County, Iowa, USA  Began work at Hus Memorial Presbyterian Church in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Worked at Church until 1938.

http://czechconnections.org/pdf_files_folder/Czech%20Americans/hus%20cedar%20rapids%20history.pdf
A History of Hus Memorial Presbyterian Church, Cedar Rapids, Iowa 
Czech 
8 I20274  BREN, . Joseph  25 Nov 1869  Netrebice, Nymburk, Stedocesky, Czech Republic   1 Dec 1943    Minister  20 MAR 1938  Cedar Rapids, Linn County, Iowa, USA  Resigned from Church due to advanced age.  Czech 
9 I19338                       
10 I3169                       
11 I3169                       
12 I1087  DUNN, Fr. James P  10 Aug 1930  Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, USA   5 Feb 1954  Saint Louis, Saint Louis County, Missouri, USA   Priest  1949  Florissant, Saint Louis County, Missouri, USA  17 Aug 1949 Ordained and Entered the Society of Jesus, as a Catholic Priest

James Dunn, S. J., Dies in St. Louis
Services for James P. Dunn, S. J., will be Monday at teh St. Louis (Mo.) university chapel. Mr. Dunn, born in Milwaukee, entered the Jesuit order after his graduation from Marquette University high school. He died of a heart attack Friday in a St. Louis hospital. He had attended classes at the university Friday morning. Feeling ill, he excused himself and later was taken to the hospital. He died before he could be admitted.
He attended St. Boniface parochial school here. He was a student at St. Stanislaus seminary, Florissant, Mo., four years. His father, James P., is a druggist at 2879 N. 8th st.
Other survivors are his mother and a brother, John, Milwaukee.
Burial will be at Florissant. 
Czech 
13 I19188  FISHER, . Urban Frantisek  9 Oct 1857  Krchleby #30, Stankov, Domazlice, Plzensky, Czech Republic   24 May 1927  Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon, USA   Priest      1884
St. John's Abbey (formerly Abbey of St. Louis on the Lake), of the Order of St. Benedict, Collegeville P.O. Stearns Co., Minn.
Rev. Urban Fischer, O.S.B.
to the abbey belong 46 priests, 8 clerics, 5 novices, 16 scholastics, 31 lay Brothers, and 7 lay novices.

1886
22 Jun 1886
degree of Doctor of Philogy on Rev. Urban Fischer at St. John University

1894
Mt. Angel Seminary and College, Mr. Angel, Oregon
Rev. Urban fisher, PhD., O.S.B.,
Professor of Natural History, Chemistry, Algebra, Latin, Geometry, Spanish, Penmanship, Typewriting, Shorthand, Surveying

1905-1911: the St Wenceslaus parish was a mission, served by Fr. Urban Fischer, OSB, professor at Mt. Angel Abbey, and Fr. Henry Bruenagel, pastor in Rainier, Oregon. Mass was offered in private homes
and the Watts & Price Hall in Scappoose.

1911-1927
Fr. Urban Fischer, O.S.B. and he also served Rainier, St. Helens & Clatskanie
traveling by train or horseback.

1914-1927
St Wenceslaus Church, Scappoose, Columbia County, Oregon
THE FIRST PASTOR, FR. URBAN FISCHER, OSB, 1914-1927
When Fr. Urban Fischer, O.S.B. was appointed
the first pastor in 1914, people were very
honored with their learned Czech priest, a PhD,
who had taught languages and other college
subjects at Mt. Angel. In 1915 a group of 10
children eagerly made their First Communion
in the new church. Fr. Fischer’s niece, Anne
Geiger, had come to the parish on Saturday
afternoons for catechism lessons. The parish
grew during Fr. Fischer’s 13 years with
numerous Czech families coming from
Nebraska, Texas, Minnesota, Washington,
Montana, Wisconsin, California and relocating
from Oregon towns. These include the
family names of: Marek, Beno, Hobizal,
Kocarnik, Vostral, Stehno, Hlavinka, Schmit,
Mikesh, Valla, Kucera, Michek, Vopalensky
and Bisek. 
Czech 
14 I12096  JELINEK, Rev. Joseph  4 Dec 1847  Strmechy, Strmechy, Pelhrimov, Vysocina, Czech Republic   26 Jun 1928  Frankfurt, Michigan, USA   Minister  1896  CHURCH Bethlehem Congregational Church, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA  1896 Ordained in Chicago  Czech 
15 I12096  JELINEK, Rev. Joseph  4 Dec 1847  Strmechy, Strmechy, Pelhrimov, Vysocina, Czech Republic   26 Jun 1928  Frankfurt, Michigan, USA   Minister  1898  CHURCH Bethlehem Congregational Church, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, USA  The Czech Community of Milwaukee 1848-1998 Dejiny Cechu V Milwaukee
by Anton Daniel Acker
p. Appendix C
Pastors of the Protestant Czech Congregations at 13th & Harmon Street
Tenure - Pastor - Congregation - Ordination Certificate Number - OCN Filing Date - Denomination
(note: Ordination Certificates are on file at the Milwaukee County Historical Society)
1898-1899 Rev. Joseph Jelenik - John Hus Chapel - #893 - (11 MY 1897) - Congregational
1900-1911 Rev. Joseph Jelenik - Bethlemska Kaple - #893 - (11 MY 1897) - Congregational 
Czech 
16 I19240  KOCARNIK, . Vaclav  8 Mar 1845  Kutna Hora, Czech Republic   14 May 1912    Priest      From "History of Czechs in America" by Jan Habenicht
page 145 photo
page 149
Father Vaclav Kocarnik was born in Kutna Hora on March 8, 1945. He graduated from the local junior high school and departed for New York. In 1866 he entered the Benedictine monastery of St. Vincent in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, and on July 17, 1874, he was ordained priest there. After remaining in Allegheny, Pennsylvania for a short time, he left for Omaha,, and in 1880, he moved to Plzen, Saunders County, Nebraska. In March 1885 he came to Chicago, and in 1894, he became the Prior of the Czech Benedictine monastery in Chicago. In 1899, he left for Bohemia because of his health , and in 1903, he returned to Chicago. 
Czech 
17 I12107  KOUKOL, Rev. Charles Joseph  5 Oct 1883  Kostelec nad Orlici, Rychnov nad Kneznou, Kralovehradecky, Czech Republic   Aft 1955    Minister  1912  CHURCH Bethlehem Congregational Church, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, USA  The Czech Community of Milwaukee 1848-1998 Dejiny Cechu V Milwaukee
by Anton Daniel Acker
p. Appendix C
Pastors of the Protestant Czech Congregations at 13th & Harmon Street
Tenure - Pastor - Congregation - Ordination Certificate Number - OCN Filing Date - Denomination
(note: Ordination Certificates are on file at the Milwaukee County Historical Society)
1912-1913 Rev. Charles Koukol - Bethlehem Chapel

http://books.google.com/books?id=mMAMAAAAIAAJ&pg=RA2-PA14&lpg=RA2-PA14&dq=%22Bethlehem+congregational+church%22+milwaukee&source=bl&ots=6RB9mLwIng&sig=X_bonaiS_hUYCpDaIBn5g18kdow&hl=en&sa=X&ei=OfENT5CEJsX5ggfRl6miBw&ved=0CDkQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=%22Bethlehem%20congregational%20church%22%20milwaukee&f=false

Chicago Theological Seminary Register, Volumes 5-8
Volume VI, 1913, No 3
p. 14
photo
CHARLES JOSEPH KOUKOL
Born, Kostelec nad Orlici, Bohemia.
Oberlin Academy.
Carroll College, B.A., 1912
Oberlin Theological Seminary.
Graduation Thesis: "The Jesuits in Bohemia."
Location: Bethlehem Congregational Church, Milwaukee, Wis.

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/ne/topic/ethnic/czechs/cz-pg337a.html
Czechs in Nebraska
photo of Bethlehem Presbyterian Church in South Omaha

South Omaha: In 1893 S. A. Beranek and wife established a Sunday and sewing school, coming from Omaha to participate. During Rev. Dobias's time the congregation was founded and the church built on Twenty-first street between Q and R. After his departure in 1906 V. Miniberger, then studying theology in Omaha, took care of the congregation. In 1909 he moved to Racine, Wis., and his successors were: Rev. B. A. Filipi and Miloslav Filipi (then studying theology in Omaha). In 1912 Rev. Emanuel Kalina, newly ordained and coming from New York, became incumbent. He was earnestly active and improved the church building, but in 1918 he entered the services of the Young Men's Christian Association. Rev. V. Cejnar of Omaha then took care of the congregation until Rev. Charles Joseph Koukol, the present incumbent, took charge. Rev. Koukol was born in Kostelec nad Orlici, Bohemia, in 1883 and came to this country in 1895, without his parents. He lived a year in Jessup, Pa., where his eldest brother was pastor of the first Slovak Presbyterian church in the U.S. Then he lived for several years in Moorestown, N.J. He studied as follows: 1909: Oberlin Academy; 1909: Oberlin Seminary, Slavic Department; 1912: Carroll College, Wisconsin, where he attained the degree of Bachelor of Arts; 1913: Chicago Theological Seminary, Bachelor of Theology; 1913-1914: Philosophical Faculty in Prague, Bohemia. In 1915 he was ordained a minister of the Presbyterian Church and until 1921 was minister of the Bohemian Presbyterian church in Phillips, Wis., where was organized also a Bohemian Presbyterian Church of Jan Hus. In 1921 he came to South Omaha, the incorporated title of his church being: Presbyterian Church of the Bohemian and Moravian Brethren

http://books.google.com/books?id=QcQpAAAAYAAJ&pg=PT206&lpg=PT206&dq=koukol+minister+omaha&source=bl&ots=bPQGo936yL&sig=Y5LWfQYUkROink7vjzIzA3eCWDQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=eBoRT5qOCMmqgweSvJ33Aw&ved=0CD4Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=koukol%20minister%20omaha&f=false

Herald and Presbyter, Volume 92
September 28, 1921
page 13
Chippewa presbytery met Sept. 20th at Chetek, Wis. Rev. C. J. Koukol was dismissed to Omaha Presbytery and Licenciate C. E, Haskins, of Winnebago. The two overtures from the General Assembly were both answered in the affirmative. 
Czech 
18 I15368  KOZAK, Fr. James  29 Sep 1900  Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, USA   4 Sep 1980  Wisconsin, USA   Priest  1929  CHURCH Saint Wenceslaus Catholic Church, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, USA  The Czech Community of Milwaukee 1848-1998 Dejiny Cechu V Milwaukee
by Anton Daniel Acker
p. Appendix C
Pastors of the St. Wenceslaus Congregation on the Southside
1929-1979 Rev. W. James Kozak, born Cleveland, OH 
Czech 
19 I15442  LOJKA, Rev. Frantisek  4 Mar 1793  Velka Lhota, Volfirov, Jindrichuv Hradec, Jihocesky, Czech Repulblic   24 Jan 1864  Humpolec, Humpolec, Pelhrimov, Vysocina, Czech Republic   Minister  1818  CHURCH Catholic Church, Kurzlov, Hodonin, Jihomoravsky, Czech Republic  Studied at Bratislava
1815 teacher in Prague
Pastor in Hrube Vrbka 1818 -1830
Pastor in Humpolec 1830-1864 
Czech 
20 I15442  LOJKA, Rev. Frantisek  4 Mar 1793  Velka Lhota, Volfirov, Jindrichuv Hradec, Jihocesky, Czech Repulblic   24 Jan 1864  Humpolec, Humpolec, Pelhrimov, Vysocina, Czech Republic   Minister  1830  CHURCH Protestant Augsburg Confession Church, Humpolec, Pelhrimov, Czech Republic  Pastor in Humpolec 1830-1864  Czech 
21 I10151  MERNA, Fr. Francis  30 Apr 1880  Czech Republic   4 Sep 1945  Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, USA   Priest  1919  CHURCH Saint Wenceslaus Catholic Church, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, USA  Ordained before 1912 in Bohemia

The Czech Community of Milwaukee 1848-1998 Dejiny Cechu V Milwaukee
by Anton Daniel Acker
p. Appendix C
Pastors of the St. Wenceslaus Congregation on the Southside
1919-1929 Rev. Frantisek Merna

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=9fAZAAAAIBAJ&sjid=KiMEAAAAIBAJ&dq=wenceslaus%20church&pg=2137%2C1374778
The Milwaukee Journal
September 5, 1945
Father Merna Is Dead Here
Last Rites Friday
Father Francis Merna, 65, formerly pastor of St. Wenceslaus church, 1404 W. Scott st., died Tuesday at his home, 3974 S. Howell av., after a long illness. He had been retired since 1929.
Born and ordained in Czecho-Slovakia, Father Merna came to this country in 1912. He was assistant pastor of Blessed Agnes church in Chicago for seven years and came to Milwaukee in 1919 to become pastor of St. Wenceslaus.
Surviving are three sisters and two brothers in Czecho-Slovakia.
The body will be at the Gutowski funeral home, 20007 S. 15th st., from 4 p.m. Wednesday to 4 ;.m. Thursday. It will then be taken to St. Wenceslaus church, where services will be held at 10 a.m. Friday. Burial will be at Mount Olivet cemetery. 
Czech 
22 I19557                       
23 I11170  OBRIEN, Fr. Eugene Christopher  12 Mar 1928  Wisconsin, USA   18 Aug 2001  Wisconsin, USA   Priest  1957  Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, USA  Ordained 1957 in Milwaukee

NewsBank.com
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (WI) - August 22, 2001
Deceased Name: O'Brien , Rev. Eugene C. Captain U.S.N. Chaplain Ret.
O'Brien, Rev. Eugene C. Captain U.S.N. Chaplain Ret. Age 73. Found peace with the Lord Saturday, August 18, 2001. Preceded in death by his father Gerald O'Brien, mother Mayme, and stepfather Ned Baron. He was loved dearly by brother Jim and sister-in-law Joanne. Dear uncle of Kevin (Carol), Patrick (Betsy), Tim (Jan) and Michael. Special great-uncle to the Irish Clan; Katie, Matthew, Danny, Casey, Meagan, Kelsey, Molly, Timmy, Connor, and Michael. Further survived by the Westenberger, O'Brien and Baron families. Father Gene was a graduate of St. Michael's grade school in Milwaukee. Influenced by his Jesuit education at Marquette University High School and Marquette University, he enrolled at St. Frances Seminary and completed theology studies at Catholic University, Washington DC, being ordained in 1957 in Milwaukee, celebrating his first Mass at St. Michael's Parish where his boyhood friends endearingly called him "Fr. Eutch." After serving 4 years at St. John's Cathedral, he received approval from the Archdiocese to enter the U.S. Navy, and spent 27 satisfying years administering to military personnel and their families. Father Gene served with honors at the Naval Academy, Coast Guard Academy and on Fleet Duty. He completed duty in Vietnam, 1966-1967 and enjoyed the opportunity to live and work at various posts around the world where he felt his ministry provided a pastoral focus for military personnel. In 1986, he made St. Francis de Sales Church in Lake Geneva, WI. his home. He spent a gratifying 3 years there before health concerns necessitated a move to the warm climate of California. For the next 11 years he was the part-time priest at St. Margaret's, Oceanside and at St. Peter's, Fallbrook, CA. Both congregations looked upon him as their own. Their gracious support and prayer brought comfort in his final months. Eugene's devotion to his vocation and affection for his fellow priests and his family ran as deep as the ocean he loved so much. He will be dearly missed. Visitation Thursday, August 23 from 9:30 AM until time of Concelebrated Mass of Christian Burial at 11:30 AM at St. Margaret Mary Parish, 3930 N. 92nd St. (92nd and Capitol Dr.). Private Entombment at Holy Cross Cemetery. Contributions appreciated to St. Michael's Parish, c/o St. Michael's Alumni Association, 1445 N. 24th St., Milwaukee, WI 53205. SCHMIDT & BARTELT Funeral and Cremation Service 414-774-5010 Wauwatosa

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (WI)
Date: August 22, 2001
Edition: Final
Page: 99
Record Number: 2001082208178336
Copyright (c) 2001, Journal Sentinel Inc. All rights reserved. (Note: This notice does not apply to those news items already copyrighted and received through wire services or other media.)  
Czech 
24 I18869  PELIKAN, . Frank  6 Oct 1865  Czech Republic   2 May 1949  Wisconsin, USA   Minister        Czech 
25 I12116  PRUCHA, Rev. Vaclav  11 Nov 1866  Jezore, Czech Republic   14 Nov 1928  Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA   Minister  BEF 1910  Minnesota, USA    Czech 
26 I5688  REITINGER, Rev. Filip  1 Apr 1864  Sumegh, Hungary   8 Nov 1943  Montclair, New Jersey, USA   Minister  1889  CHURCH Bethlehem Congregational Church, Saint Louis, Saint Louis County, Missouri, USA    Czech 
27 I5688  REITINGER, Rev. Filip  1 Apr 1864  Sumegh, Hungary   8 Nov 1943  Montclair, New Jersey, USA   Minister  1890  Wahoo, Saunders County, Nebraska, USA    Czech 
28 I5688  REITINGER, Rev. Filip  1 Apr 1864  Sumegh, Hungary   8 Nov 1943  Montclair, New Jersey, USA   Minister  1891  Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, USA    Czech 
29 I5688  REITINGER, Rev. Filip  1 Apr 1864  Sumegh, Hungary   8 Nov 1943  Montclair, New Jersey, USA   Minister  1892  Silver Lake, McLeod County, Minnesota, USA    Czech 
30 I5688  REITINGER, Rev. Filip  1 Apr 1864  Sumegh, Hungary   8 Nov 1943  Montclair, New Jersey, USA   Minister  1905  Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, USA    Czech 
31 I5688  REITINGER, Rev. Filip  1 Apr 1864  Sumegh, Hungary   8 Nov 1943  Montclair, New Jersey, USA   Minister  1909  Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA    Czech 
32 I5688  REITINGER, Rev. Filip  1 Apr 1864  Sumegh, Hungary   8 Nov 1943  Montclair, New Jersey, USA   Minister  1910  CHURCH Mizpah Chapel, Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, USA  Ordained at Olberlin Theological Slavic College Seminary on June 2, 1889 in Cleveland, Ohio
1908-1921 Mizpah Chapel on E. 59th near Fleet (Polish Congregational/Presbyterian Church) 
Czech 
33 I7985  REITINGER, . Robert Hudson  9 May 1920  Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, USA   16 Jul 2005    Minister        Czech 
34 I9786  ROHLINGER, Fr. John  28 Apr 1860  Herman, Dodge County, Wisconsin, USA   18 Dec 1916  Wausau, Marathon County, Wisconsin, USA   Priest  1885    Ordained June 29, 1885  Czech 
35 I19529  ROMANN, . Unknown          Priest        Czech 
36 I5177                       
37 I9937  SUCHY, Fr. Leo John  20 Jul 1841  Hrachovteinitz, Horsovsky Tyn, Czech Republic   20 Oct 1894  Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, USA   Priest  1874  La Crosse, La Crosse County, Wisconsin, USA  Ordained in 1867 in Prague
The first pastor of St Wenceslaus Church, founded in 1874, was a Franciscan priest from Prague in Bohemia, Father Leo John Suchy. 
Czech 
38 I9937  SUCHY, Fr. Leo John  20 Jul 1841  Hrachovteinitz, Horsovsky Tyn, Czech Republic   20 Oct 1894  Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, USA   Priest  1875  CHURCH Saint John de Nepomuc Catholic Church, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, USA  From book The Catholic Church In Wisconsin
page 343
St. John De Nepomuc's Church, Milwaukee.
Rev. Leo Suchy, 1875 to 1885.

The Czech Community of Milwaukee 1848-1998 Dejiny Cechu V Milwaukee
by Anton Daniel Acker
p. Appendix C
Pastors of the St. John de Nepomuc Congregation on the Northside
1875-1885 Rev. Leo Suchy, born Horsovsky Tyn 
Czech 
39 I9937  SUCHY, Fr. Leo John  20 Jul 1841  Hrachovteinitz, Horsovsky Tyn, Czech Republic   20 Oct 1894  Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, USA   Priest  1883  CHURCH Saint Wenceslaus Catholic Church, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, USA  The Czech Community of Milwaukee 1848-1998 Dejiny Cechu V Milwaukee
by Anton Daniel Acker
p. Appendix C
Pastors of the St. Wenceslaus Congregation on the Southside
1883-1894 Rev. Leo Suchy, born Horsovsky Tyn

From book The Catholic Church In Wisconsin
page 769
St. Wenceslas Church, La Crosse, Wis.
This parish was founded in the year 1873, by the Rev. Leo Suchy, O. S. F., who was a native of Hrachovteinitz, Bohemia, where he was born July 20, 1841. He was ordained to the priesthood at Prague, Bohemia, in 1867, removing to this county soon after. Having organized the parish, he remained as its pastor until September, 1875, when he transferred to St. John's Congregation at Milwaukee, where he died in 1894.
page 1048 and 1049
SUCHY, O. S. F., the Rev. P. Leo, was born in Horsin Tyn, Bohemia, July 20, 1841. He acquired his education for the priesthood in the University of Prague and was ordained in 1867. He then joined the Franciscan Order, and was professor of German in Prague one year, subsequent to which he spent a considerable period in missionary work throughout Moravia. Father Suchy came to America in 1873, where he immediately began to labor among the Bohemian congregational in the Diocese of La Crosse. While engaged in the work he was entrusted with the organization of St. Wenceslaus' congregation at La Crosse, over which he maintained spiritual direction until 1875. He then associated himself with the Archdiocese of Milwaukee, where he was apppointed director of St. John Nepomucene's congregation at Milwaukee, of which he remained in charge until 1883. During this pastorate he was successsful in making numerous improvements to the church property, among other things building the present excellent school house. In 1883 he was commissioned by Archbishop Heiss to organize the Bohemian congregation of St. Wenceslaus on the south side of the city, where he erected a church, school and parsonage. He also performed the duties as chaplain of the Central Society of the Bohemian Fraternities in America for a number of years. During the latter portion of his life he made an extended trip to Carlsbad in hopes of regaining his health, which was then in a badly shattered condition. The effort, however, proved futile, for soon after his return, although apparently much improved, he quickly failed, dying October 20, 1894.

From book The Catholic Church In Wisconsin
page 357
St. Wenceslaus Church, Milwaukee.
With the aid of the departed Rev. Leo John Suchy, pastor of the St. John's Nep. Church, a piece of land was purchased by the Catholic Bohemians living on the extreme south side of Milwaukee in 1883. The spot is particularly well chosen, being in an exceptionally pleasnat neighborhood, on the corner of Scott street and Ninth avenue. On this spot a building was soon erected, the first story being arranged for a school and Sisters' dwelling, the second for the church, while the basement was used as a hall by the different societies to which the members of the congregation belonged. Lateer, it is intended to use the entire building as a school and Sisters' residence. The church was dedicated December 16, 1883, by the Very Rev. Monsignor Batz, several priests attending the ceremonies, and the Very Rev. William Coka preaching the sermon. The trustees of the parish at that time were: Messrs. J. Paulu, Mat Smrz, J. Krofta, Mat Kocourek, and Frank Slivka. In 1884 the parish numbered one hundred and sixteen families, and the school, which opened on January 2 of the same year, had an attendance of ninety-five pupils, who were placed under the direction of Sisters of Notre Dame. Of this young but enterprising parish the Rev. Leo Suchy, who belongs to this pastor, who shunning no hardships and ignoring all obstacles, labored with untiring energy for the welfare of his countrymen. That he succeeded is as plainly to be seen in the material evidences which he has left behind, as in the love and reverence with which his memory is preserved by the members of the congregation. Father Suchy took special pride in the growth and progress of the school, which even to the last proved a source of undiminished pleasure. In dying, this loving pastor gave one last evidence of his affection in leaving all that he had of earthly goods fot eh strengthening and upbuilding of the parish for which he had already done so much.

Father suchy was born in Bohemia July 20, 1841. He was educated by the venerable Benedictine Fathers in the first Bohemian Convent erected by St. Adalbert in 993. Completing his theological studies at the Gymnasium of Prague, he was ordained in 1867, and there labored as a successful pulpit orator in the Bohemian and German languages. In 1873 he came to America, and having spent two years in La Crosse, where he built a church, Father Suchy came to Milwaukee, where he remained until his death, October 20, 1894. The successor of this lamented priest was the Rev. Charles Wotypka, a theological student in Louvaine, Belguim. Although working in the parish but a short time - less than a year - he was active, and left many traces of success. On January 20, 1996, the Rev. Father Machan became spiritual director of the parish. He was born in Moravia April 15, 1865, receiving his education in the schools and institutions of his native city. He was ordained in Brunn by the Rt. Rev. Dr. Francis Bauer. He at once became active in Prague, Bohemia, as catechisht and pulpit orator, continuing in the work until July 4, 1895, when he came to New York. After a short stay there he went to Texas, where the Rt. Reb. Bishop of Galveston appointed him pastor of Granger, Williamson County. He also attended the Mission of Corn Hill, some sixteen miles distant. Ill-health prevailing, he was compelled to move North, where he was appointed to his present pastorate by the Most Rev. Archibishop Katzer.

The parish of St. Wenceslaus now consists of one hundred and fifty families, and the schools, under the direction of Sisters M. Anezka and M. Napomuka, has an attendance of one hundred and forty pupils. The societies represented in the parish are: St. Wenceslaus' Benevolent Society, F. Safranek, treasurer; Knights of St. Wenceslaus, J. Rotsedl, president, F. Cerny. commander, Ant. Filip, secretary, M. Krofta, treasurer; Bohemian Catholic Singing Society, Joseph Smrz, president, Jos. Kocourek, secretary, F. Ambroz, treasurer; Ladies' Sodality of the Holy Rosary, Mrs. Jos. Strake, president, Mrs. Husek, secretary, Cath. Slivka, treasurer; Ladies' Sodality of the Blessed Virgin, Mrs. E. Krizek, president, M. Flicek, secretary, A. Friedl, treasurer; Young Ladies' Sodality of St. Agnes, Miss M. Cisler, president, Ann Straka, secretary, M. Uchytil, treasurer; Altar Boys' Society, J. Kappel, president, J. Heller, secretary, and J. Benes, treasurer. 
Czech 
40 I12143  TOTUSEK, Rev. Vincent James  22 Jan 1868  Paseky, Czech Republic   4 Jan 1908  Silver Lake, McLeod County, Minnesota, USA   Minister  1895  Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, USA  The Czech Community of Milwaukee 1848-1998 Dejiny Cechu V Milwaukee
by Anton Daniel Acker
p. Appendix C
Pastors of the Protestant Czech Congregations at 13th & Harmon Street
Tenure - Pastor - Congregation - Ordination Certificate Number - OCN Filing Date - Denomination
(note: Ordination Certificates are on file at the Milwaukee County Historical Society)
1895-1897 Rev. Vincent Totusek - John Hus Chapel

http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/oberlin-college/quinquennial-catalogue-of-officers-and-graduates-volume-yr1900-reb/page-12-quinquennial-catalogue-of-officers-and-graduates-volume-yr1900-reb.shtml
Oberlin College - Quinquennial catalogue of officers and graduates (Volume yr.1900)

p. 189 Theological Seminary
1898 Slavic
Vincent Totusek, Begonia, Va,

http://books.google.com/books?id=-trOAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA262&dq=vincent+totusek&hl=en&sa=X&ei=j1cPT4jGFMb4ggeR75zZAw&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=vincent%20totusek&f=false
Oberlin alumni magazine, Volume 4; 1907
p, 262
Vincent Totusek, '98
Vincent Totusek died January 4, 1908, at Silver Lake, Minnesota.
Vincent Totusek was born January 22, 1868, in Moravia, Europe. He came to the United States in 1870, Afer graduating from the Slavic department of the Theological Seminary with the class of 1898, Mr. Totusek began work among the Bohemians and Slavs in Begonia, Virginia where he labored nine years. In 1907 a call came to go to Stockdale, Pennsylvania, but he was unable to remain but a short time on account of ill health. Following the advice of physicians he went to Silver Lake, Minnesota, where he died, january 4. Mr. Totusek was married December 27, 1887 to Miss Josephine Hakl.
by Oberlin College Alumni Association

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/d/a/v/Steve-G-Davis/GENE1-0002.html
Married by Squire Jerabek. After marriage, they went to Ohio where Vincent prepared for the ministry at Oberlin College. They remained in Ohio until he became the first pastor of the Congragational Church in Begonia, VA in 1898. In 1906 they moved to Stockdale, PA briefly. After he became ill, his wife and 7 children went to Silver Lake where he died January 1908.  
Czech 
41 I8225  VAVRINA, . Vaclav  11 Dec 1873  Caslav, Stredocesky, Czech Republic   28 Jan 1950  Champlin, Minnesota, USA   Minister  1899  Tabor, Polk County, Minnesota, USA    Czech 
42 I8225  VAVRINA, . Vaclav  11 Dec 1873  Caslav, Stredocesky, Czech Republic   28 Jan 1950  Champlin, Minnesota, USA   Minister  1903  CHURCH Bethlehem Congregational Church, Saint Louis, Saint Louis County, Missouri, USA    Czech 
43 I8225  VAVRINA, . Vaclav  11 Dec 1873  Caslav, Stredocesky, Czech Republic   28 Jan 1950  Champlin, Minnesota, USA   Minister  1911  South Dakota, USA    Czech 
44 I8225  VAVRINA, . Vaclav  11 Dec 1873  Caslav, Stredocesky, Czech Republic   28 Jan 1950  Champlin, Minnesota, USA   Minister  1921  Czech Republic  organized YMCA in Czechoslovakia for 12 years  Czech 
45 I8197  WRBITZKY, Rev. Edmund  10 Oct 1862  Boskovice, Blansko, Jihomoravsky, Czech Republic   28 Mar 1934  Anoka County, Minnesota, USA   Minister  1888  Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, USA  Duba book page 178.

 
Czech 
46 I8197  WRBITZKY, Rev. Edmund  10 Oct 1862  Boskovice, Blansko, Jihomoravsky, Czech Republic   28 Mar 1934  Anoka County, Minnesota, USA   Minister  1891  CHURCH Bethlehem Congregational Church, Saint Louis, Saint Louis County, Missouri, USA  Minister of Eagle church in South Dakota (information from Nancy Anderson)

According to the book: Pamatnik Memorial of Czech Protestant Congregations in the United States 1900 by Vilem Siller, Vaclav Prucha and R M DeCastello:
page 28
1896 minister in St Louis
page 161
1900 minister
page 192
In September 1891, Rev. Ed. Wrtitzky from Cleveland, Ohio became minister in St Louis of Bethlehem Congregation Church

 
Czech 
47 I8197  WRBITZKY, Rev. Edmund  10 Oct 1862  Boskovice, Blansko, Jihomoravsky, Czech Republic   28 Mar 1934  Anoka County, Minnesota, USA   Minister  1903  CHURCH Eagle Presbyterian Church, Eagle, Brule County, South Dakota, USA  Duba book page 178.

 
Czech 
48 I8197  WRBITZKY, Rev. Edmund  10 Oct 1862  Boskovice, Blansko, Jihomoravsky, Czech Republic   28 Mar 1934  Anoka County, Minnesota, USA   Minister  1908  Silver Lake, McLeod County, Minnesota, USA  Duba book page 178. Minister in Silver Lake for more than 20 years.

 
Czech 
49 I3189  ZWOLANEK, Rev Dr. John  13 Aug 1815  Sobinov, Sobinov, Havlickuv Brod, Vysocina, Czech Republic   15 Jan 1890  Grant County, Wisconsin, USA   Minister and Physician  1854  Fayetteville, Texas, USA  http://www.fayettevillebrethrenchurch.org/about-us/history/
In 1855, a group of Protestant Czech families settled near Fayetteville in Ross Prairie. The settlers had such well-known family names of today as Hruska, Jecmenek, Sebesta, Mikeska and Chupik. Desiring to have Czech worship services, the settlers called upon Rev. John Zvolanek, who lived forty miles away at Austin’s San Felipe-on-the-Brazos. Services were held in the Ross Prairie area in the homes of the settlers, and Rev. Zvolanek’s preaching is recognized as the first Czech Protestant preaching in the state of Texas. In 1874, a church was built on land donated by Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Jecmenek. The approximate cost of constructing the church was $1,200.00. The church was remodeled in 1924, 1957 and 1998. In 1999, the Texas Historical Commission declared the Fayetteville Brethren Cemetery as an Official Historical Texas Cemetery. In 2005, the members held a Sesquicentennial (150 years) Celebration of service to the Savior.
Pastors Who Have Served:

1855 - 1859 Rev. John Zvolanek
-------------------------------------------
http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fzv01

Albert J. Blaha, Sr., "ZVOLANEK, JAN," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fzv01), accessed July 15, 2012. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

ZVOLANEK, JAN (1815–1890). Jan (Johann, John) Zvolanek (Zwolanek), minister and physician, son of Jan and Anna (Kafka) Zvolanek, was born on August 3, 1815, in Sobinov, Bohemia. The Zvolanek family had lived in Sobinov for at least 200 years and were well-to-do members of the Protestant Brethren Church. Zvolanek received his education as a physician in Vienna and, at his mother's insistence, studied theology at Basel. His first church was at Hab_ina. He married Amalia Elizabeth Lojka at Humpolec, southeast of Praha. Their daughter, Julia Johanna, was born at Hab_ina. In 1847 Zvolanek was assigned to the district of Vsetin in Moravia and served the Protestant churches at Usti, Leskovec, Polanka, Hovezi, Halenkow, and Zdechov until 1853. Zvolanek immigrated to Texas, arriving at Galveston with his wife and daughter on the bark Weser on December 3, 1854. They settled at San Felipe, where Zvolanek bought a house and practiced medicine. The Czech-Moravian Brethren Church in Texas was founded and grew under Zvolanek's ministry. In 1855 he was called to serve the Czech and Moravian families at Ross Prairie. He was probably the first minister ever to preach in Czech in Texas, and perhaps in the United States. He also became associated with the Evangelical Lutheran Synod in Texas and preached in German in Lutheran churches. In 1859 the Zvolaneks left Texas and went to Gnadensutter, Ohio, where there was a Moravian church. Then, about 1862, the family moved to Santa Fe, Indiana, and about 1864 to Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. Zvolanek and his wife were divorced on August 8, 1868. He moved alone to Muscoda and the Blue River valley, where he served the Czech Evangelical Church. There, on November 19, 1879, he married Mary Schafer, a former patient of his some forty years his junior. They had four sons. Reverend Zvolanek died in 1890 and is buried in the Blue River Church Cemetery near Muscoda, Wisconsin. His second wife died on December 23, 1914.

BIBLIOGRAPHY:

Christian Sisters Union Study Committee, Unity of the Brethren in Texas, 1855–1966 (Taylor, Texas: Unity of the Brethren, 1970). Jan Habenicht, D_jiny _echuv americk_ch (St. Louis: Hlas, 1910). Estelle Hudson and Henry R. Maresh, Czech Pioneers of the Southwest (Dallas: South-West, 1934).

Albert J. Blaha, Sr.
---------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txaustin/Czech/History/Migration_11_19.html

The following was published as the lead article in Volume I of a series of books published by the Texas Czech Genealogical Society in 2005 and 2007 titled “Czech Family Histories.”

AN ACCOUNT

OF

THE FIRST GROUP MIGRATIONS OF CZECHS TO TEXAS

by

James Woodrick

pages 11 - 19

Later in 1854 the “WESER” brought another group of Czech and Polish families to Texas, landing in Galveston on December 3. Czechs included Franz Blaha and family, Ferd. Dubsky, Maria Kotulla, Jan Kovajan and family, Franz Maniko, Jos. Matchotka, Franz Strade and John Zvolanek, his wife Amalia and daughter. Zvolanek was an ordained minister and a medical doctor. He first settled in San Falipe where he practiced medicine. In 1855 he began serving the early Protestant Czech settlers of the Ross Prairie (near Frelsburg) area as their preacher, leading certainly the first services spoken in Czech in Texas and perhaps the U.S.A. The Polish families founded the town of Panna Maria in Karnes County. 
Czech 
50 I3189  ZWOLANEK, Rev Dr. John  13 Aug 1815  Sobinov, Sobinov, Havlickuv Brod, Vysocina, Czech Republic   15 Jan 1890  Grant County, Wisconsin, USA   Minister  1864  New Berlin, Waukesha County, Wisconsin, USA  pastor at Old German Reformed Church in New Berlin, Waukesha County, Wisconsin 1864-1865; came from Indiana

http://www.newberlinhistoricalsociety.org/the-landmarks-commission/german-evangelical-protestant-cemetary/pioneer-history
German Evangelical Protestant Cemetary
Pioneer History

by Laurie DeMoss and Sue Hemman
New Berlin Landmark Commission

The first German church in New Berlin was Lutheran and this cemetery is the only evidence still remaining. Many of New Berlin's early pioneers were industrious, thrifty German settlers, educated in German and bilingual in English, with the ability to pay in cash for land and stock.

When Frederick William III, ruler of Prussia, issued a decree to unite the Lutherans and the Reformed into one evangelical congregation, the forced Prussian Union caused many Lutherans to immigrate to America to seek freedom of worship. The first group of Protestant Germans arrived from Rhenish-Bavaria in 1840 led by Christian Damm, his wife Margaret (Wagner) Korn Damm and her sons Jacob and Henry Korn, along with Jacob's wife Katherine (Eiler) Korn. Christian Damm's family built a log cabin on the west side of Racine Ave. JacobKorn's family settled at the comer of Racine Ave. and Observatory Rd. Henry Korn's family later settled on Observatory Rd., near Woelfel Rd. In 1841, Henry Luke and Philip Strieder (Streeter) arrived. Henry Luke married Margaret, a daughter of Christian and Margaret Damm and settled along Racine Ave. east of and including the Little Grove School area at Swartz Rd. In 1842 the Kerns arrived from Hesse-Darmstadt and in 1843 the Swartzes and Grasers came from Bavaria and Alsace. George Sittel and his wife Anna arrived in New Berlin from New York in 1851, settling along Coffee Rd. Their headstones are among the very few still left standing in the cemetery.

It was in 1842 that those first Germans gathered in Christian Damm's log house to organize their church congregation led by a Lutheran pastor, the Rev. Friedrich Schmidt of Daldorf, Wuerrtemberg, Germany, who was a circuit-riding preacher. The first burial was that same year - Barbara Luke, 13 days old who died of convulsions. A few years after Pastor Schmidt moved to Michigan in 1844, Pastor Johannes Weinmann of Bemhagen, Wuerrtemberg, Germany was called to minister to the German settlers in New Berlin. It appears that Christian Damm, who had an original land grant along Racine Ave., donated the land for the cemetery and the first frame church that was built in 1848 and dedicated in 1849. In 1852 Christian Damm sold additional land to the congregation for $25. The first child baptized was George Wagner, born April 29,1850, son of Peter and Mary (Sittel) Wagner. The parsonage was erected by 1852 and a parochial school taught by the pastor was established. Johan K. Meidenbauer was the first secretary and historian of the church. Initially he listed 26 contributing families as members. Within three years this list had grown to 42 families.

Subsequent pastors were Pastor Daniel Huber, 1860-1863, Pastor John Zwolanek, 1864-1865 and Pastor Bartelt-1866. Doctrinal differences led to the breakup of the church in the late 1860s. A majority of the congregation wished to leave the Lutherans and form a German Reformed church, echoing the issues that had originally caused the Germans to seek religious freedom in America many years before. The founders of the new church were Jacob Wagner, Daniel Schley, Philip Streeter and Abraham Kem. Initially the new German Reformed group met in the Little Grove School.In 1865 Jacob Korn deeded land to the trustees about a half-mile north of their former church near Racine and Swartz Rd. A brick church was built there in 1865 at a cost of $800. A cemetery was dedicated at the new site and as the old Lutheran church was abandoned after 1867, the original Lutheran cemetery became nearly forgotten, overgrown and neglected.

Pioneer life was difficult and filled with hardships. Disease, illness and accidents were daily occurrences. Of the 93 interments in this cemetery, 65 were infants or children. As was mentioned, the first burial was a baby of Henry and Barbara Luke. Sadly, they buried a second newborn daughter in 1846, a 13 day old son in 1847, an 18 day old son in 1849, an 11 day old son in 1850, a 13 week old daughter in 1851 and a 10 week old son in 1858. Just as sad are the losses of Christoph and Margareth Krainer. They buried a 9 month old son in 1859, then between July 4 and July 14, 1863 they lost a 17 month old, a 6 year old and a 4 year old to throat angina. In 1865 another 13 month old son died. J.K. Meidenbauer and his wife Catherine had only one child. It was stillborn and is listed on the cemetery record, but they chose to bury the infant near a pine tree on their farm.

Information for this history has been gathered from these sources:"German Pioneers of New Berlin" by J.H.A. Lacker; "History of St. John's Oakwood Evangelical Lutheran Church"; "Not as German as You'd Think" by Mary Ella Milham; collection of New Berlin Almanacks; New Berlin Citizen, 4/87, and Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod records.

http://www.welshistory.org/home/180009847/180009847/180071961/J%20V17%202.pdf
Proceedings of the 14th Convention of the German Evengelical Lutheran Synod of Wisconsin and Other States held in the First German Evangical Lutheran Congregation in Manitowoc, Wisc. Watertown 1864
May 17, 1864
IV. Arrival of New Preachers, Ordination and Installation
On May 7 Pastor Zwolanek arrived here from Indiana and accepted a call from the congregationin New Berlin which had been orphaned since the depature of Pastor Huber.

http://www.welshistory.org/home/180009847/180009847/180071961/Vol18No1.pdf
Proceedings of the 14th Convention of the German Evengelical Lutheran Synod of Wisconsin and Other States held in the First German Evangelical Lutheran Congregation in Manitowoc, Wisc. Watertown
May 28, 1864

30 that it could not recommend the acceptance of Pastor Zwolanek until he rereives a release from the Kirchen = Verein des Westens (Church Association of the West - a United Church type of synod);


http://www.welshistory.org/home/180009847/180009847/180071961/Vol15No1.pdf
Proceedings of the 15th Convention of the German Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Wisconsin and Other States held in the German Evangelical Lutheran Church of Watertown, Wis. June 22 to 28 1865 Watertown
The matter of the congregation in New Berlin was now brought up for discussion. The repected Pastor Wagner presented the report, Pastor Zwolanek enlarged upon it. After the statement of the former, a change in pastors would seem to be the answer. The convention, however, cannot as in other cases order what appears to be best, but can only give counsel. The convention, however, did resolve, in case Pastor Zwolanek leaves the congregation, the neighboring pastors would serve the vacancy in New Berlin with word and sacrament.

http://www.welshistory.org/home/180009847/180009847/180071961/J%20V18%202.pdf
Proceedings of the Sixteenth Convention of the German Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Wisconsin and Other States held in the German Evangelical Lutheran Congregation in Fond du Lac, Wisc. from June 7 to 13, 1866
Depature of Pastors
2. Pastor Zwolaneck, who is not a member of our synod, likewise left the congregation in New Berlin and stated at the same time that he was leaving the preaching ministry. As far as I know, he has done this.


 
Czech 


1 2 Next»